Recipe for Stuffed Piquillo Peppers
This classic tapa is commonly made with piquillo peppers.
12 piquillo peppers
1/4 c raw orzo
4 tbsp olive oil
1 med red onion, chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
12 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/12 c dry white wine or water
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring med pot of salted water to a boil. Cook orzo till al dente. Drain and cool. You should have about 1 2/3 c cooked orzo.
3. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large saute pan over med-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring, until wilted and tender, another 5-7 minutes. Season w/salt and pepper.
4. In a bowl, combine onion and kale w/the cooked orzo, feta, herbs, olives, lemon zest and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Toss gently until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more lemon juice if necessary.
5. Slice off the top 1/2 inch of each pepper and reserve tops. With a paring knife, cut away the white ribs inside the peppers. Turn the peppers over and tap out the seeds. Divide the orzo filling among the peppers and replace the top of each pepper.
6. Stand peppers in med baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper. Pour white wine into pan and cook peppers in the oven until the peppers are very tender and slightly blackened on top.