After the combination of heavy holiday eating– eight days of latkes, Friday night’s baked ziti, midnight chocolates, and champagne toasts– it’s refreshing to have a simple, light meal. From the Ross Dobson cookbook, Market Vegetarian— a rustic roasted tomato soup finished with parmesan cheese toasts. It’s the kind of dinner that makes you feel good– especially good with all of this rainy, windy weather!
2 pounds Roma tomatoes, halved
2 small red onions, chopped
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups vegetable stock
freshly grated parmesan cheese (variation, optional)
low fat ricotta cheese (variation, optional)
1/2 teaspoon paprika (variation, optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Put the tomatoes, onion, thyme, sugar, salt, garlic and oil in a large bowl. Toss the ingredients to combine.
3. Place the ingredients on a baking sheet lined with nonstick foil and roast in the oven for 45 – 55 minutes.
4. Discard the thyme and pour the roasted vegetables into a large saucepan.
5. Use a hand blender to process the ingredients until smooth. You may need to add a bit of the stock if the mixture is too thick to process.
6. Add the rest of the stock and cook over gentle heat for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
7. Serve with a dollop of ricotta cheese and some toasted baguettes with bubbling parmesan cheese.